Pages

Monday, February 2, 2015

Books I Read in January

I decided to also give short reviews of each book I read during the year. You can follow me on Goodreads to get more up-to-date reviews as I finish them.

Lola & the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins - 5 stars (finished 1/2)
This is the second book in the Anna & the French Kiss trilogy and it was every bit as good as the first. It did have Anna & St. Clair in it, like the first book. Again, I got very connected to the characters and there were times I felt like a hole had been ripped my chest wide open and I believe I teared up at one point too - pregnancy hormones - yeah, let's blame it on them :) I like when contemporaries continue in the same world with the same characters. I'm very excited about book 3.

The Fifth Wave by Rick Yancey - 5 stars (finished 1/11)
This is the first book in The Fifth Wave trilogy. I loved the multiple POV - so many different perspectives that added a very detailed look at the same event going on. Love the premise (even though it is terrifying) and loved how the story unveiled, progressed, and "ended". It wasn't the typical cliffhanger ending, but I know there is more to the story and I am very excited to read it. Honestly not sure which character is my favorite - they all are very strong, but flawed too (aka realistic characters that one can connect with).

Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter - 4.5 stars (finished 1/15)
Another first book in a trilogy, this one the White Rabbit Chronicles. I really liked the new version of zombies and Alice in Wonderland theme. I don't know why, but I love me some good ole fictional cliched high school drama. :)

Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead - 5 stars (finished 1/20)
This is the fifth book in the Vampire Academy series - which I absolutely adore! When the "big thing" happened like midway through the book, I was stunned. I didn't think anything else could happen...I mean what could it be...and then it DID happen and holy crapola! I did not see that coming at all. I feel as the series has progressed the books get more emotional for me to read. I'm so hooked on these characters. I love them as if they were my own friends. Starting on the final book because after this read, I can't put it off!

Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead - 4 stars (finished 1/26)
The sixth and final book in the Vampire Academy series was read IMMEDIATELY upon finishing the fifth. Pretty decent ending to the series, although not my most favorite book out of all of them. Still quite a bit of unresolved conflict and I'm not sure how much of that is addressed in the Bloodlines series (the spin off series).

Day 21 by Kass Morgan - 3 stars (finished 1/30)
This is the second book in The Hundred trilogy - that is also now a show on the CW. The book is told from multiple POVs: Clarke, Wells, Bellamy, and Glass. It is still a good read, but it's "weak" - I actually agree with quite a few reviewers who say that the show is better. I do like when the book jumps to flashbacks and Clarke is way more likeable in the books.

What books did you finish in January?
Have you read any of these - if so, what did you think?


No comments: